Crunchy turnips stand in for water chestnuts in this Southern-inspired stir-fried dish.
Stir-Fried Chicken and Turnips
Yield: approximately 4 servings
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 medium turnip roots, peeled
- 3 slices bacon
- 8 cups torn fresh turnip greens
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- In a small bowl, combine chicken, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- Cut turnip roots into approximately 1⁄4-inch-thick slices. Cut slices into 1⁄4-inch-thick strips. Set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Set aside to cool; crumble.
- Add turnip greens to pan; stir-fry over medium-high heat until slightly wilted, approximately 1 minute. Spoon turnip greens onto a serving platter. Add chicken and turnip roots to skillet; stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink and turnip roots are crisp-tender, approximately 3 minutes. Add bell pepper; stir-fry 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Divide rice and turnip greens among 4 serving plates. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with reserved bacon, peanuts, and green onion.
Southern Cast Iron https://www.southerncastiron.com/