Coating the pan in almonds creates a lovely pattern and crust on this cake.
Strawberry Almond Cake
Makes 1 (16-cup) cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour*
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⅔ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt. With mixeriron low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold strawberries into batter.
- Spray a 16-cup cast-iron fluted cake pan with baking spray with flour. Sprinkle bottom and sides of pan with sliced almonds. Spread batter into prepared pan. Gently tap pan on counter lined with a kitchen towel a few times to release air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack, and let cool completely. Sift with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.