Remember those frozen fruit pastries that you popped in the toaster as a kid? These buttery, flaky, tangy-sweet treats are the grown-up version.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Hand Pies
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup frozen cut rhubarb, thawed and chopped
- ⅓ cup plus ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dough sheets
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, stir together strawberries, rhubarb, ⅓ cup sugar, tapioca flour, lemon zest and juice, and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough sheet to a 14×10-inch rectangle. Using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife, trim edges of each dough sheet to make a 13½×9¾-inch rectangle. Cut each dough sheet into 9 (4½×3¼-inch) pieces. Gently transfer dough pieces to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using a fork, prick 9 dough pieces all over, about ¼ inch apart.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon strawberry mixture onto center of solid dough pieces, leaving a ¾-inch border on all sides. (Discard any remaining liquid from strawberry mixture). In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush egg mixture onto edges of dough pieces with strawberry mixture. Place remaining dough pieces on top, pressing edges together to seal. Using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife, trim edges of all pies to create a tight seal. Freeze pies until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a small X in top of each pie; brush with egg wash. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup sugar onto pies. Place pies 1 inch apart on a 15-inch round or rectangular cast-iron baking sheet.
- Bake until slightly puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
KITCHEN TIP: The low baking temperature and long bake time is needed to ensure the filling cooks properly and thickens while keeping the dough from overbrowning. Increasing the heat will result in a dark bottom and watery filling.