These sweet buttermilk scones are filled with fresh strawberry goodness.
Serves: Makes 8
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, pulsing to combine. Add butter, and process just until mixture is crumbly. Pour mixture into a medium bowl. Add strawberries and buttermilk, stirring to combine (do not overmix).
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough to a 7-inch circle, 2 inches thick. Using a knife, cut dough into eight triangles. Arrange in prepared skillet, spacing slightly apart. Brush with beaten egg, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.