Crumbly and buttery, this scone-like topping is a grand upgrade to this classic dessert.
Serves: 8 servings
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ cup plus 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Spoon mixture into a 9-inch enamel-coated cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 3⁄4 cup cream until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 1⁄2 inch thick circle; cut into 7 wedges. Arrange wedges over strawberry mixture in skillet. Brush dough with remaining
- tablespoons cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until topping is slightly golden and filling is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes.
*We used Swans Down.