Tender slices of steak brightened with a drizzle of cilantro-packed sauce make the perfect porch dinner.
Strip Steaks and Vegetables with Spicy Chimichurri
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound zucchini, cut diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) strip steaks
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together cilantro, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, red pepper, and garlic until finely chopped. With processor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat grill to high heat (400° to 450°). Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill to heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add potatoes to a microwave-safe dish, and cover with plastic wrap. Cut a vent in plastic wrap. Microwave on high until almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in skillet. Add potatoes to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add zucchini; cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Sprinkle vegetables with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle steaks with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper. Spray skillet with nonflammable cooking spray.
- Add steaks to skillet; cook until desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet; cover with foil, and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegetables and cilantro sauce. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.