Store-bought or delivery pies are no match for this family-friendly pizza-casserole hybrid.
Supreme French Bread Pizza Casserole
With toasty bread cubes reminiscent of pizza crust, tons of toppings, and of course, a heaping portion of ooey-gooey cheese, we think you’ll ditch the delivery pie come mealtime.
- 6 large eggs
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 7 cups lightly packed cubed day-old French bread
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced white onion
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Garnish: fresh oregano
- In a very large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper; stir in bread. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Stir sausage, 1 cup mozzarella, Cheddar, pepperoni, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, olives, and oregano into bread mixture until well combined. Pour. mixture into skillet; loosely cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is puffed and browned, about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with oregano, if desired.
If you don’t have day-old bread, toast fresh bread cubes in the oven at 350° until dry to the touch.