Grits don’t always have to be savory; think of this lightly sweetened version as you would a bowl of oatmeal or cream of wheat, and it’s sure to make all your breakfast dreams come true.
Sweet Grits with Spiced Apples
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large Pink Lady apples, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- In an enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, bring milk, 2 cups water, and 3 tablespoons butter to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits until smooth; whisk in brown sugar, salt, and ginger. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until grits are tender and thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add apples and cinnamon; cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in honey until apples are coated. Serve grits with apples. Garnish with pecans, if desired.