Bourbon-soaked candied bacon takes this classic casserole to the next level.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Candie Bacon
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 4 large sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil
- In a shallow dish, place bacon in an even layer. Pour bourbon over bacon. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pat bacon dry with paper towels, and place on prepared pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Bake until crisp, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature; crumble bacon.
- In a large bowl, beat sweet potatoes, butter, granulated sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, eggs, salt, ginger, and cloves with a mixer at low speed until smooth. Spoon into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Bake until center is slightly jiggly, about 40 minutes. Increase oven to broil. Sprinkle with pecans, bacon, and remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Broil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Find more delicious cast iron recipes in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.