Not a fan of the typical marshmallow or streusel toppings? Give this savory sweet potato casserole a spin.
Sweet Potato Parmesan Casserole
Serves: 8-10 servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed (about 3 pounds)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1½ cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- ⅓ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Garnish: chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat potatoes, ½ cup butter, brown sugar, eggs, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper with a mixer on low speed until smooth. Stir in 1 cup cheese and sage. Spoon into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, remaining ½ cup cheese, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Using fingers, mix in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal; sprinkle mixture onto potatoes.
- Bake until center slightly jiggles and top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage, if desired.