Make the pie ahead of time. Just before serving, top with marshmallows, and bake until browned.
Sweet Potato Pie
Makes 8 servings
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs and pecans. Add melted butter, stirring until moistened. Using a measuring cup, press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch castiron skillet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sweet potato, brown sugar, cream, eggs, zest, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Spoon into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, 45 to 55 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows, and bake until browned, about 10 minutes more.
Find more delicious fall desserts in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.