These tangy Asian takeout-inspired meatballs pack a one-two punch of flavor that your family is sure to enjoy.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 large egg
- 4½ teaspoons soy sauce, divided
- ¾ teaspoon dark sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- In a large bowl, gently stir together pork, bread crumbs, egg, 1½ teaspoons soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt until well combined. Shape mixture into 1¼-inch balls.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add meatballs; cook turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove meatballs from skillet, and let drain on paper towels.
- Add bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in pineapple in juice, brown sugar, vinegar, and remaining 3 teaspoons soy sauce to skillet. 4. In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 1 minute. Add meatballs; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Top with green onion. Serve with rice.