If you prefer your cornbread with a definite sweet side, this version is for you.
Sweet Southern Cornbread
Makes 1 (10-inch) loaf
- 1¼ cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Butter and honey, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and brown sugar. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Fold in melted butter just until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey.