It’s hard to beat a sandwich made with fresh tomatoes when they’re in peak season; juicy slices paired with perfectly crisp bacon and a runny egg yolk amplify it even more.
Tomato Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (¾-inch-thick) slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons prepared honey mustard
- 2 slices Muenster cheese
- 2 slices heirloom tomatoes (about ½ inch thick)
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and, let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Gently crack egg into skillet; cover and fry until yolk is set 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper to taste; remove from skillet.
- Spread honey mustard on one side of each bread slice; add to skillet mustard side up. Cook until bottom of bread is browned about 2 minutes. Remove 1 bread slice from skillet. Place cheese over honey mustard on bread slice in skillet.
- Broil on middle rack of oven until cheese is melted about 1 minute. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add eggs bacon, and remaining bread slice. Serve immediately.