The frosting gives this Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cake an extra punch of flavor.
Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cake
Serves: 8 servings
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter, and 1½ cups sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy,
- to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spread batter in prepared skillet. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely. In a small bowl, toss together raspberries and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and reserved vanilla bean seeds with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Stir in buttermilk until a spreadable consistency is reached. Spread frosting on top of cake. Garnish with raspberries, if desired.