A crunchy praline topping is the perfect garnish for this moist banana bread.
Banana Bread with Praline Topping
Makes 1 (9x5-inch) loaf or 2 wedge pans
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 large)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 1 (9x5-inch) cast-iron loaf pan or 2 (9-inch) cast-iron wedge pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugars. Gradually whisk in 2 eggs and 1 yolk. Whisk in mashed banana and sour cream.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, toasted pecans, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring until combined. Spoon batter into desired prepared pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white until frothy. Stir in pecans, turbinado sugar, and vanilla. Spoon pecan mixture over top of batter.
- For wedge pans: Bake for 30 minutes; cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 15 minutes more. For loaf pan: Bake for 35 minutes; cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 40 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack