This Black-Eyed Pea, Okra, and Tomato Casserole will surprise you with its deliciously spicy kick.
Black-Eyed Pea, Okra, and Tomato Casserole
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut ½ inch thick crosswise
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Creole seasoning
- ¾ cup coarsely cup crumbled cornbread
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in bacon, okra, tomatoes, peas, hot sauce, basil, vinegar, and Creole seasoning until combined. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and top with cornbread. Bake until cornbread is browned, about 10 minutes more. Garnish with basil, if desired.