The ultimate breakfast, these all-in-one bacon pancakes will be a family favorite for years to come.
Makes about 10
- 10 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Maple syrup, to serve
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Reserve remaining drippings.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, and eggs. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Cut each bacon slice in half crosswise. For each pancake, place 2 bacon pieces side by side in skillet. Spoon ⅓ cup batter over bacon pieces, spreading slightly. Cook until edges are dry and bubbles form in center of pancakes, about 3 minutes; turn, and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes more. Use reserved bacon drippings as needed. Serve with maple syrup.
Find more delicious recipes like this one in the newest issue of Southern Cast Iron magazine.