Can’t find farro at your local store? Substitute white rice or quinoa.
Chicken Tenders with Farro and Vegetables
Serves: 6 Servings
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh cremini mushrooms, quartered
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 mini tricolor sweet peppers, sliced
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup farro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ (8-ounce) package English peas
- Garnish: chopped red onion, fresh parsley, fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet; cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add mushrooms and onion to skillet; cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sweet peppers, broth, farro, parsley, and thyme; bring to a boil. Top with chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with peas; cover with foil, and bake 6 minutes more. Garnish with onion, parsley, and thyme, if desired.