Roasted Cabbage braised in cider vinegar is the perfect accompaniment for corned beef.
Cider Roasted Cabbage with Bacon
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 pounds cabbage wedges (1 small head green cabbage)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan. Crumble bacon.
- Add onion and fennel seeds to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to caramelize, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove onion using a slotted spoon. Add cabbage to pan; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn cabbage; return onion to pan, and add vinegar. Cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Turn cabbage, and sprinkle with bacon and salt. Remove from heat.