Simple, delicious, and perfectly Southern, we love this cornbread with a hearty bowl of chili or classic collard greens.
Classic Southern Cornbread
Makes 1 8-inch skillet
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup plain white or yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425°. Pour oil into a deep 8-inch cast-iron skillet. Place pan in oven until oil is very hot, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and egg. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture; stir until combined. Carefully pour batter into hot oil.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.