These buttermilk scones are the perfect accompaniment for a cup of tea, like Earl Grey.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a cast-iron wedge pan with baking spray with flour.
- For scones: In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, zest, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg until smooth. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. (Dough will be wet.)
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Fold dough in half until it becomes comes together, 5 to 6 times. Pat or roll dough into a 1½-inch-thick circle. Cut dough into 8 wedges. Place wedges in wells of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 14 minutes.
- For drizzle: In a small bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar, buttermilk, and lemon zest and juice. Drizzle over warm scones. Serve immediately.