Inspired by one of our food editor’s grandmother’s recipes, this Lemon-Garlic Chicken and Rice sings with notes of bright, tangy citrus flavor.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1¼ cups long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Garnish: seared lemon slices (see Kitchen Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Working in batches, add chicken to skillet; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice, garlic, and red pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, lemon juice, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; arrange chicken in rice mixture.
- Bake, covered, until rice is tender and a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, about 35 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Garnish with seared lemon slices, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: To sear lemon slices, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add lemon slices; cook, turning frequently, until browned, about 2 minutes.