A bowl of creamy Carolina Gold rice flavored with homemade stock and sharp Cheddar is sure to cure the coldest winter blues.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup Carolina Gold rice or other short-grain white rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups Turkey Stock or chicken stock, heated
- 1 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Garnish: shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese, minced fresh thyme
- In an enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, without stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove mushrooms from pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in pot. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened, about 6 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring occasionally, until rice begins to smell nutty and toasted, about 3 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring frequently, until nearly all liquid is evaporated.
- Add hot Turkey Stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently each time until most liquid is cooked out. (You should be able to drag your spoon through the rice and the rice not come back together before adding the next cup of stock.) On the last cup of stock, when about half the liquid has been absorbed, stir in mushrooms, cheese, thyme, and remaining ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Garnish with cheese and thyme, if desired.