This speedy take on red beans and rice gets its slow-cooked flavor from a generous splash of Simmered Mixed Greens potlikker but comes together in under an hour.
Quick Red Beans and Rice
Serves: 8 Cups
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14-ounce) cans light kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup reserved potlikker from Simmered Mixed Greens
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook until sausage begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add stock, beans, reserved 1 cup potlikker, Cajun seasoning, and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Add rice. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.