We doctored up a boxed stuffing mix with vegetables and crumbled sausage for a side that saves on time without sacrificing flavor.
Quick Sausage-Pecan Dressing
Serves: 8-10 servings
- ½ pound ground mild pork sausage
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped stemmed Lacinato kale (about 7 ounces)
- 2 (6-ounce) boxes savory herbs stuffing mix*
- ¾ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add butter to skillet with drippings, and stir until melted. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in kale in batches, cooking until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir sausage, stuffing mix, pecans, and chives into skillet. (Skillet will be quite full.) Remove from heat.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat broth on high until just boiling, about 2 minutes; gently stir broth into stuffing mixture in skillet. Loosely cover with foil.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Uncover and drizzle with melted butter. Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 165°, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives, if desired.
*We used Kraft Stove Top Savory Herbs Stuffing Mix.