The cheesy, velvety cream sauce seeps into every nook and cranny, resulting in a truly decadent vegetable side.
Scalloped Vegetable Casserole
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1⅔ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 (10-ounce) bags frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, thawed, drained, and patted dry
- 1 (14-ounce) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed, drained, and patted dry
- ½ cup coarsely crushed round buttery crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or enamel-coated braiser, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; whisk in cream cheese until melted and smooth. Whisk in 1⅓ cups Cheddar until melted and smooth; stir in pimientos, mustard, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir in all vegetables until well combined.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining ⅓ cup cheese and crackers onto casserole. Bake until cheese is melted and crackers are lightly browned, about 10 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.