Three types of sturdy winter greens combine to give this soul-warming staple extra texture. Be sure to reserve 1 cup potlikker for Quick Red Beans and Rice.
Simmered Mixed Greens
Serves: 6 Cups
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 pound collard greens, stemmed and chopped
- ½ pound mustard greens, chopped
- ½ pound Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add all greens in batches; cook, stirring frequently, until wilted.
- Add stock, ham hock, hot sauce, and salt; cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove ham hock; stir in vinegar. Serve immediately.