This from-scratch Skillet Green Bean Casserole is the must-have addition to all of your feasts this season.
Skillet Green Bean Casserole
Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced cremini mushrooms
- ½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup french-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring beans, ½ teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook until tender. Remove mushroom mixture from pan, and set aside.
- Add flour; cook until bubbly. Stir in broth; cook for 1 minute. Add half-andhalf; cook until thickened. Stir in nutmeg, pepper, beans, mushroom mixture, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Pour mixture into a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Top with Parmesan and french-fried onions.
- Bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Find more sides for your Thanksgiving supper in the newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.