Smoky with a savory bite of green onion, these muffins are the perfect companion to this fresh and hearty meal.
Smoked Cheddar Corn Muffins
- 1 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray 2 (6-cup) cast-iron muffin pans with cooking spray. Place pans in oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and red pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, green onion, melted butter, and eggs. Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine. Add cheese, stirring just until combined. Carefully remove pans from oven. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm.