With toasty waves of homemade marshmallow topping, this chocolate-filled treat is irresistible.
S'mores Cheesecake Pies
Serves: Makes 1 (10-inch) pie
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- ½ (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For crust: In a large bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until combined; stir in egg whites until well combined. Press mixture firmly into bottom and 1 inch up sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Let skillet cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 300°.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, cook chocolate morsels, butter, and cocoa over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add sour cream and vanilla, beating until smooth. Fold in chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake for 1½ hours. Turn oven off, and leave cheesecake in oven with door closed for 2 hours. Remove from oven. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Loosely cover, and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- For topping: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until soft peaks form.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, stir together corn syrup, ⅓ cup water, and remaining ⅔ cup sugar until moistened. Cook over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally (do not stir mixture), until mixture registers 248° on a candy thermometer.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium. Pour corn syrup mixture into egg whites in a slow, steady stream. Increase mixer speed to high, and beat until thick, white, and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla bean paste just until combined. Spread mixture onto pie using an offset spatula. Lightly brown meringue using a kitchen torch or under an oven broiler, if desired.