These classic sugar cookie cutouts can be sprinkled with sugar before baking, or bake them plain and embellish with icing for a touch of holiday flair.
Sugar Cookie Stars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: sprinkles, sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and extracts, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until a dough forms.
- Divide dough in half. On a heavily floured surface, roll half of dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a star-shaped cutter, cut dough, and place on a cast-iron baking pan or griddle. Brush with water, and sprinkle with sprinkles or sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.