Making pesto from carrot tops is a great way to use the whole vegetable in a flavorful, easy way, and it pairs deliciously with these sticky roasted carrots.
Sweet Garlic-Glazed Carrots
Serves: 8-10 servings
- 4 bunches medium carrots with tops, trimmed and peeled (tops reserved)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- Carrot Top Pesto (see Kitchen Tip)
- Garnish: chopped carrot tops
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a large cast-iron baking pan, toss together carrots, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper; spread in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar, and bake until tender, about 5 minutes more. Serve with Carrot Top Pesto. Garnish with carrot tops, if desired.
To make Carrot Top Pesto, in the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together 1 clove garlic and 3 tablespoons pine nuts until roughly chopped. Add 2 cups packed carrot tops, ½ cup packed basil leaves, ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. With food processor on, slowly add 1 cup olive oil until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.