We brought Southerners’ love for sweet potato pie and candied pecans together in one unbeatably delicious pie.
Sweet Potato Pie with Candied Pecans
Serves: 1 (10-inch) pie
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 3 teaspoons cold water, divided
- 3 large eggs, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 3½ cups mashed cooked sweet potato (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup pecan halves
- ¾ cup pecan pieces
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll one piecrust. Brush with 1 teaspoon cold water. Place remaining piecrust on top, pressing to seal layers. Roll into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 10-inch castiron skillet, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Prick bottom and sides of dough with a fork several times. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg and remaining 2 teaspoons water. Brush egg wash onto dough. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake 10 to 12 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave oven on.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add evaporated milk and remaining 2 eggs, beating until combined. With mixer on low speed, add mashed sweet potatoes, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt, beating until well combined. Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake until edges begin to set, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pecan halves, pecan pieces, brown sugar, and egg white. Spoon topping onto pie, and bake 40 minutes more, covering crust with foil to prevent excess browning. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.